Thursday, January 12, 2012

Award Time!


A week from Monday two early morning phone calls will change many lives. January 23rd is Newbery and Caldecott day.
This award season I’ve enjoyed following the new blog, Calling Caldecott, on the Horn Book website. Check it out here.

I’ve read many of the titles they selected to discuss over the last months. In most of the mock Caldecott events reported on the blog so far, GRANDPA GREEN by Lane Smith has been the winner.

Would this be my choice? Maybe, but there are others.

I have reread the Caldecott's criteria. Whew! Glad I’m not on that committee. I’d have a very hard time selecting a winner.
Stated briefly, the winner should have: excellence of execution, excellence of pictorial interpretation of the text, appropriateness of style, and excellence of presentation in recognition of a child audience.

Okay, so for excellence in illustration perfectly matching sly humor, I’d chose A BALL FOR DAISY, or I WANT MY HAT BACK; for intricate, stunning art based on nature, I’d chose BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON, or SWIRL BY SWIRL; for illustrations that complement childhood/family emotions, I’d chose LITTLE WHITE RABBIT, or TWEAK,TWEAK; for vivid, glorious illustrations that bring history alive, I'd chose THE GREAT MIGRATION, or DAVE THE POTTER: ARTIST, POET, SLAVE.

I think the most difficult decision for the committee has to do with "presentation in recognition of a child audience." Does GRANDPA GREEN appeal to adults more than children? In terms of child appeal, perhaps GINGERBREAD MAN LOOSE IN SCHOOL should win - or WHERE'S WALRUS?, or BLUE CHICKEN.

And then again some title may be flying under the radar and emerge with the medal.

Do you have a favorite title you think should win?

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, I haven't read most of these yet. I did love I WANT MY HAT BACK, but can't compare it to the others.

    I've been reading a lot of Newbery possibilities, and have loved the books most often named. I do think OKAY FOR NOW has a really good shot. It's a wonderful book. I think the only reason it might not win is because it skews a little older than traditional middle grade.

    ReplyDelete