Thursday, March 1, 2012

Getting in the Mood

As I near the finish line of my WIP, I'm beginning to think about my next novel. Several ideas are fighting to be next in line, but today, one of them took the lead. I was in the mood.

Let me go back a few years. I had an idea for a middle grade ghost story set at the beach. I did some preliminary research, knew my two protagonists, and knew who my ghost would be.

But now I also want to write a book about a kid in high school band -- I've got the plot structure for that one, but no plot yet. I've got the beginning of a YA about a theater kid that I want to get back to, and a YA mystery begging to be solved.

So what happened today to make that MG jump to the front of the pack?

Well, I went for a walk on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. I've walked that boardwalk countless times. My husband was born and raised there and my in-laws still live there. But today was different.

Today was...moody.

The sky was overcast, but the sun was breaking through in shafts of light right where the waves break. Sea Isle City, seen from a distance curving out and into the ocean, was shrouded in mist. The boardwalk was deserted. I was alone.

And more than anything, I wanted to write about it. I was in the mood.

I think my in-laws will see a lot of me this summer.

I'll share a photo when I get home to my own computer. Can't download from my phone on the one I'm using.

So does anyone else care to join me in a summer WIP? Plan it now and fast draft throughout the summer months? Come on in! The water's fine!

6 comments:

  1. Hooray! I call that moment "the anchoring." It's a precious moment, when you know you're off and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a good start. I'm finishing revisions on a novel and then I'll be where you are. Lots of ideas, and the need to focus. Maybe I need a walk on the beach. Or in the woods. Or somewhere.

    Congrats on the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mirka. I love the anchoring. Especially at the beach!

    Stephanie -- I walk a lot and think about my WIP. It always helps me clear away the cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great inspiration! I love the beach in the off-season. I've always wanted to live on the beach for a whole calendar year and watch it as it changes. I also love to walk and think about my writing...sometimes swimming and thinking helps too. It's so tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, a summer WIP sounds lovely! I don't have one yet, but if I come up with one before summer, I'd love to join you in some drafting! (Hopefully summer camp will give me some good opportunities for drafting-- even if it's not a summer WIP. :o) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning to jump into a new WIP today. It's already planned. Now, it's time to fast draft. Good luck with yours. :)

    ReplyDelete