Tuesday, May 8, 2012
I don't know if it is this way for most first time authors, but for me, time seemed to pass really slowly after the book got accepted. I wanted to do something, but I didn't know what.
Now with just weeks to go before launch day, I suddenly know all I could have been doing. And I'm trying to get it all done!
So I thought I'd tell you what I'm doing. And if you've got a debut coming up, maybe I can help you to put a few things on your list a bit earlier. :o)
1. I'm busy running a Truck Bedtime Drawing Contest for kids! This at least is now nicely off the ground, but I want to let people know about it. So please spread the word! And hope your kids create some super truck drawings!
2. I'm busy planning my online Truck Stop Book Launch. Eek! The general outline is laid out, but there is still a lot of work to do, to turn it into the "party" I envision. (Please stop by my website on May 22nd to see if I pulled it all together. :o))
3. I'm busy finishing up the school visit program I have planned. The first visit is on May 24th to the elementary school I attended as a kid. I am super excited and, as with the party, I have the general outline all laid out. But, from my many years of teaching, I know how very important it is to think through as many details as I can so that things will run smoothly. So I am busy working on details.
4. And did I mention the book trailer? Yes, I've been dreaming of a book trailer for two years. I even wrote the text for it right after I sold the book. So I'm also busy putting that together.
5. And then there are the other events that I'm busy trying to organize-- a Touch a Truck Day and a live bookstore launch.
(And if you're heading up on a debut and looking for things you can work on, other to do items I recently accomplished included: creating a Teacher's Guide for my book, putting together a packet of materials to send out to schools I'm visiting, and printing up postcards to hand out to promote my book.)
Now as a writer, I can't help but notice that the word "busy" is definitely overused in this blog post. But I decided that the repetition of that word captures my current state. It is busy and exciting and wonderful! Just two weeks till publication day! And, while I want time to slow down a little, so I can get everything done, still I can hardly wait!