Sunday, October 4, 2009

Views on Point of View

I have just finished Carl Hiaasen's SCAT. The book is compelling, and quite a page turner. It's a good "read" for a middle grader, and even for a reader few decades older.

Why was SCAT compelling? Well, I really cared about the main protagonist. I didn't agree with all his thought processes, but he came across as sincere and honest, and he had a big problem to solve, one that got more complex at the plot developed. The supporting characters were well drawn, but did not diminish the main character.

And what about the "villains?" Hiaassen had sections devoted to just them and their nefarious machinations. Technically, a children's writer sticks with just the protagonist's point of view. Hiaasen breaks this rule, successfully, I think.

So, I'm asking myself, and anyone who's reading this, which technique is more attractive to the young reader, strict single point of view, or a chance to "get behind the scenes," going where the protagonist cannot go?

6 comments:

  1. There are a lot more books out there written in omniscient POV than you think.

    HOLES, by Louis Sachar
    EVERLOST by Neal Shusterman
    TUCK EVERLASTING Natalie Babbitt
    THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman
    THE BOOK THIEF by Marcus Zusak

    Just to name a few. All of these books take the reader into the minds of characters other than the protaganist. They are also precisely and beautifully written. You've got to really know what you're doing to take this POV on and not mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I LOVE having insight into other character's thoughts and actions but agree that it is probably like a rhyming picture book - really easy to screw up!

    As for having a preference - not sure. I think it's very subjective. But no matter what, a well written book with a gripping plot is what will draw a reader in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Robin, knowing what other characters are thinking/doing is always interesting, and something usually reserved for adult books. Though if my memory serves me right the Oz books are written in the omniscient POV. And as a kid, they were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy knowing what the main character is thinking, like inside information.

    I'll have to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good question, and I really don't know what kids prefer. Based on sales of Hiassen's books, I'd say kids like his writing style. Maybe it also depends on the type of story--plot driven versus character-driven, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the beauty of voice and POV. It's such an individual choice for a writer. Sometimes it's great to be all-knowing; other times it's great to figure it all out form the MC's POV.

    ReplyDelete