Sunday, October 25, 2009

I'm SO Excited!


Can you guess why? Here is the cover for my upcoming picture book Benno and the Night of Broken Glass. I don't have a release date yet, but I've been told he'll be in bookstores by mid-April.

Needless to say, I'm so excited! Thanks to Josée Bisaillon for the wonderful illustrations.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that I can stare at this photo and not get enough of it. It's like looking at a picture of one of my children.

I guess Benno is my baby (though his gestation period was more like nine years instead of nine months). It's hard to believe that it's finally happening. I think the wait will be worth it though, given how beautiful the illustrations are.

I've dedicated this book to my sister, and in her honor I will be donating my royalties to The Bone Marrow Foundation. If you don't know what this wonderful organization does, please check out their website. It is a charity that is near and dear to my heart.

16 comments:

  1. Hooray for Benno and for the illustrations! I love the cover art - just look at that star with one point missing.You lucked out with your illustrator.
    There is nothing quite like the joy of holding a book you've written, especially when the art is what you imagined for your words.
    I'm excited, too! It's been a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new baby is gorgeous. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is awesome (and intriguing!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, this is so fantastic!! Congratulations; I can't wait to buy a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great cover! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular! I can't wait to see the finished product. They certainly picked the right illustrator. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gail, yes, it's easy to be excited because the illustrations are so wonderful.

    J.L., Isn't he the cutest widdle thing?

    Kelly, I agree the cover really makes you want to look inside.

    Caroline, thanks for checking in! I'll be able to sign the book for you at the Summer Rez.

    nanmarino, thanks for stopping by!

    J.A., I feel very lucky to have had Josée Bisaillon do the
    illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover is spectacular and I can see why you're excited. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm so excited for you. The cover is incredible. It makes me so eager to see the rest of the illustrations. Looking forward to April!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome Meg!!! Can't wait to buy a copy, truly amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A HUGE congratulations! Wonderful cover! I can fully understand why you're staring at it...It IS your baby. I hope it sells LOTS so that there's lots of $$ for the Bone Marrow Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, MG, Brianna, Robin, and Bish for chiming in.

    It's fun to share exciting news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful and thanks for sharing. Nine years?! So maybe I only have three more years to go before my first PB makes it to print. I'm glad to hear you say it's worth the wait. Because sometimes it feels like it will never happen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Con Lombardo - Start to finish, from when I first got the idea to publication is probably more like ten years. But I didn't write the story ten years ago - it took me probably close to five before I figured out how to do it. It's been three years since Kar-Ben bought it.

    It does sound depressing, but that's the way it works. We can't write for children and expect immediate gratification!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your book. I am on a quest to read and review every (rather ambitious, don't you think?)children and YA book on the Holocaust. I am amazed at the wide variety, but I have to say your book is now one of my favorites for the younger readers. A beautifully simple way to introduce the subject.

    ReplyDelete