Sunday, February 13, 2011

Kiss Me


Happy Valentine’s Day!

I hope this post finds you sitting in front of a cozy fire, eating bonbons from your secret or not-so-secret admirer, and reading a wonderful love story in a children’s book—to yourself or your children.

Which makes me wonder…

What are some of your favorite PB, MG, and YA love stories, from classics to new releases?

For me, in the picture book category, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn jumps to mind. Just thinking about the portable palm-smooch that mother raccoon gives her raccoon kid, to comfort him while he’s at school, makes me start to dissolve all over again.

For middle grade, Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt also reduced me to a soppy mess. When (spoiler alert!) Tuck discovered what had finally become of Winnie, I broke down. I know I was supposed to feel like she’d made the right decision, but I cried anyway. Maybe you did, too.

In the young adult category, it’s probably no surprise that the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer tops my list. A love triangle like that would top any warm-blooded human’s list. Bella and Edward and Jacob, oh my!

Now, you tell me: Which books make your list for best kid lit love stories and romances?

6 comments:

  1. I like the picture book "Smitten" by David Gordon, about a sock and mitten that become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did love Twilight, but I didn't really enjoy the rest of the series.

    That still wouldn't top my list for best romantic YA, however. The recent Anna and the French Kiss was to die for, and you absolutely must pick it up. Wonderful young romance. Also loved the Simone Elkeles books a great deal. Perfect Chemistry was simply ... perfect. If you're looking for something more fantastic and suitable for younger readers, Beastly by Alex Flinn might be in my top five favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For picture books...oddly enough "No, David!" by David Shannon sticks out in my mind, lol. I just remember reading it to my own rather rambunctious son and tearing up at the end - because it's pretty much about unconditional love. And told in such a kid-friendly way without being maudlin.

    "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman sticks out in my mind as one of my recent YA favorites. I was actually in the middle of another book when I picked it up and couldn't put it down. It's such a beautifully written story about the power of love - family, boyfriend, friends. It's an amazing read.

    Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the older kids books I've been reading lately have been more dystopian, so I can't call any of them great love stories. (Even though I really wanted to know who Catniss would end up with, I can't call The Hunger Games books a "love story".)

    As for picture books, the first story of love that came to mind was "Art" by Patrick McDonnell. I just love this book and the ending where mother puts Art's art on the refrigerator "cause mother loves Art" would always make my son and I hug when he was younger. That ending always made us feel the love. (And I loved it so much!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin McCahan's I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU SOMEONE ELSE is a real YA love story -- complete with a will they or won't they marriage scenario. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea: Smitten sounds like a great idea, and the title is perfect. It almost makes me wonder which came first.

    Brigid: Your reco's are now on my must-read list.

    Robin: I'm a David Shannon fan, too, mostly from How I Became a Pirate. It's interesting to see how different the illustration style is in his David series. As I read, the illustrations are purposely crude, to make them look like kids' artwork.

    Brianna: I agree with you that it would be hard to call The Hunger Games a love story, even though Katniss and Peeta show a lot of love for each other.

    Judy: Ooh, I love the title.

    Thanks for the comments all. I have to pick up some of these love stories; they sound wonderful.

    Does anyone else have a favorite or two?

    ReplyDelete