Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting in the Spirit


Confession – Thanks to Gale’s wonderful post, I have completely reassigned my mental energy to Christmas. So when faced with the task of writing a meaningful blog post I wondered…how many of you are actually, um, reading this? It’s the second night of Hannukah. And 4 days before Christmas. Winter breaks have begun. And baked goods have become the biggest portion of my food pyramid.

But, I'll try...

One of the things I love about the holidays is the stories. Okay, mostly in movie form, but some of my favorites are based on books and short stories. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess. A Christmas Story by Jean Shepherd. There’s nothing like being snuggled under a blanket, holding a mug of something warm (or a glass of something that will warm you!) and watching a great movie (or reading a book!) by the glow of a Christmas tree to get me in the mood for the holidays.

What are some of your favorite books or movies that get you in the holiday spirit?

7 comments:

  1. Robin, I wish I had time to do some of those things to get into the holiday spirit. I think for me it will happen after the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite movie is It's a Wonderful Life. I cry and laugh and cherish my family all the more every time I watch it. I also just saw Arthur Christmas, and was pleasantly surprised at the story line- a fresh look at a high tech Santa and a full circle story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an old classic called Three Trees that we love to cuddle up and read in our home. It's a goodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Polar Express always does it for me. I was still an elementary school librarian the year it came out and I had to control my tears when I read the ending. Sappy? Yes, but . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely with Julie. It's a Wonderful Life is perfect! Also-- Miracle on 34th Street is wonderful! (I know these 2 aren't for my holiday, but my dad raised me to love Christmas movies :o) )

    Can't think of any great Chanukah movies, but a favorite Chanukah picture book around here is "Mrs. Greenberg's Messy Latkes". Also looking forward to reading "Nathan Blows Out the Hanukkah Candles" and "Engineer Ari and the Hanukkah Mishap". (We're big Engineer Ari fans. :o) ) Also, "Hanukkah Lights" from Candlewick is very sweet. My little guy really likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, no Christmas is complete without a marathon of, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, It's a Wonderful Life for a good, heart-warming cry. And A Christmas Story for a good, heart-warming laugh. Laughter thru tears is my favorite emotion.

    Happy Holidays, Paper Waiters!

    ReplyDelete