Saturday, January 18, 2014

Taking a Blog Break

                                                               


In 2008 when we started The Paper Wait, the social media arena was very different. Blogs were "the thing," and a critique group blog was unusual. The scene has changed. Facebook and Twitter hold sway now and we're ready for a blog break. Five years of thoughtful, informative and humorous posts remain that reflect our varying personalities.

My posts often echoed my writing life during the last five years:


I dabbled in the digital app world by allowing a start-up company (that failed quickly) find illustrators for two stories. One of the apps was fine. The other, because I wasn't shown proof, had a bad error - one illustration didn't match my text. UGH, but I'm not sorry I took a chance.

I peddled two PB's at conferences and with editors. No luck. The PB's needed to be more "character driven," and in spite of aiming for that in many revisions, they haven't sold.

I sold nine pieces to magazines - some published and some on hold. Is this my future? Perhaps. My concise writing style lends itself to short stories and I enjoy researching folktales to retell.

We're taking a blog break, but our group lives! I'll still critique with our talented members. And I'll write. And submit. And wait. I'll always be a paper waiter.









7 comments:

  1. This makes me sad! But I understand, sometimes you need to focus more of other areas of life. And five years is a long time to have blogged! I don't know if I'll still be feeling it after five years or not- I haven't even got one under my belt yet. I wish all of you guys the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a regular commenter. Yes, five years is a long time to hold a group blog together, but who knows? We may come back someday.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes. Good luck to everyone for a successful 2014!

      Delete
  3. A retired blog is such sweet sorrow, for we won't see you tomorrow.
    Keep trucking, wherever it takes you. I've enjoyed the time I've followed your posts since I discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mirka. We're closing up shop for now, but as I said to Leandra, we might open again someday.
    Best wishes from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably an indication of why we are taking a break. I don't read the blog often enough, so I didn't know we were taking one and just put in a post.

    ReplyDelete